At Coupe Green we believe that high-quality art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. As pupils progress, they are taught to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They learn how art and design have both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
Key stage 1
Pupils are taught:
* to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
* to use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
* to develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
* about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work
Key stage 2
Pupils are taught to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design.
Pupils should be taught:
* to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
* to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay]
* about great artists, architects and designers in history
At Coupe Green we encourage children to be creative, imaginative and express themselves. These skills are developed through teaching art and design. Children are given the opportunity to express themselves using a variety of materials, tools and techniques. They explore colour, texture, line, shape and form through developing skills such as, painting, drawing, collage, print making, textiles and 3D.
Through theme based planning children are given the opportunities to study artists, observe art and craft in their environment and within different cultures.
We make use of our fantastic school grounds to allow children to observe and record nature in an imaginative way.